A digital potentiometer is a resistor that you can change digitally. This digital potentiometer offers a range of 40 ohms to 100K ohms with 100 steps in between. This potentiometer works the same as turning the knob on your stereo to turn the volume up but it works via a program from another device like Arduino.
Since the current limit is very small at 3mA it is necessary to use the potentiometer with a transistor to control a larger load.
- Type: Linear
- Maximum Current: 3mA
- Steps: 100
- Operating Voltage: 5V
Each pin is labeled on the back of the PCB.
- VCC – Power In. 5V
- GND – Ground
- RH – Potentiometer High Terminal
- RW – Potentiometer Wiper
- RL – Potentiometer Low Terminal
- INC – Increment wiper. Wiper moves on each falling edge of the incoming signal.
- U/D – Up/Down. Determines if the wiper should move up or down.
- CS – Chip Select Signal. Used to address each digital potentiometers in the case that there are many in the same circuit. The device is selected when CS is low.
4 x X9C104S Digital Potentiometer Module